Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Desert??

So I don't know about ya'all, but when I think of a trip to the desert I think dry, hot, sunny, and sandy. But when I received the itinerary for my trip into the Sahara this weekend "swimming" was mentioned three times and the first thing on the recommended items to bring was "swim suit"...Also, it is recommended that you bring lots of warm layers because it gets extremely cold at night! Needless to say, I was a little shocked on both accounts! Our trip also includes two 2-hour camel rides (on dromedary-one hump-as opposed to bactrian two-humped camel) which I expect to be quite painful, a sunset seen from the best sunset-watching location in the country, a night spent in Berber tents or out in the open if you prefer, and a drum concert with dancing set to last from "9:00 pm - 5:00 +/- am"...I am told few students actually sleep on this night!!

Overall I'm completely excited to start this adventure, but alas...I have to make it through two and a half more taweel (long-طَويل) days of school before it can begin:(

Can't wait to write about it and post pictures when I get back!!!!!

Ma Salama!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read all about it!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a great time! Can't wait to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete